Skip to main content

Part 4 - What does my time with God look like?


Good day

As we move forward in this series about developing intimacy with God, it's important to define what we mean by intimacy.

When you search for the word on the internet it brings up synonyms like familiarity, belonging, nearness, closeness, affection, commitment, devotion, fellowship, faithfulness of a friendship or relationship. It also refers to trust or confidence, transparency and integrity.

Now to experience all of the above with someone, one would assume you've spent a significant amount of time with the other person to have developed the relationship to such a point that all of these characteristics become real and can be experienced by both parties. This takes time. It wouldn't happen overnight. One would also assume that it took commitment from both sides. Commitment to each other. Commitment to develop the relationship ... And this is no different when it comes to our relationship with God.

Now whilst you may not find the word "intimacy" used in the Bible to describe one's relationship with God, there is for example a verse found in 2 Corinthians 13:14 which says, "the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all". This word communion means fellowship, partnership and intimacy. The Bible also uses words like abide, draw near, meditate and seek when it comes to our relationship with Him ... all of which holds the same principle as mentioned above, in that the relationship requires time and commitment (from both parties) ... so let's take a brief look at some of these words and where they're found in the Bible:

Draw near:

James 4:8
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you

Meditate:

The Hebrew and Greek meaning of the word meditate means to pronounce, utter, commune, speak, vocalize; to contemplate, imagine, think, ponder, reflect, consider, study, deliberate and practice. It's used in the below passages:

Joshua 1:8
This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Psalm 1:1-2
Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night.

Psalm 77:12
I will consider all your works and meditate on all your mighty deeds.

Psalm 119:15-16
I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.

Other examples can also be found in Psalm 19:14, Psalm 119:97, Psalm 119:148, Psalm 143:5 and Philippians 4:8. Another example is meditating is also done with the intention to act (see 1 Timothy 4:6-16)

Abide:

John 15:4-6
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.

This word abide means to continue, endure, last, live, remain, stand and stay - The equivalent would be not to depart, not to leave, to be constantly present, to maintain unbroken fellowship.

Seek Him:

Synonyms for the word seek is to search, set about, consult, demand, desire, inquire, investigate, look, pursue and request. It's used in the below passages:

Matthew 6:33
But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to [walk with God and] please Him, for whoever comes [near] to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He rewards those who [earnestly and diligently] seek Him.

Psalm 27:7-8
Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When You said, “Seek My face,” My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.”

The word seek in the above verse comes from a root that suggests a person's earnest seeking of something or someone. Its intention is that its object be found or acquired. In the context of the verse, it's to be face to face with God, to seek His presence. It speaks of having a desire and a yearning for a personal audience before the Lord ... it speaks of intimacy.

Please also see the below verses which also reference a desire to be with God:

Psalm 84:1-2
How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord Almighty! My soul yearns, even faints, for the courts of the Lord; my heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

Psalm 63:1-8
You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. I will be fully satisfied with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you. On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, sing in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you; your right hand upholds me.

One of the things that stand out from the above passages is the transparency and sincerity with which the writer describes their desire to be with God. It indicates a level of intimacy. That there's a genuine longing and desire for more of God.

All of these passages, regardless of whether it's to draw near, to seek, abide or meditate - they all refer to the depth and quality of what it means to have a relationship with God. It shows us that we need to be focused, deliberate and intentional about this relationship. That we need to pursue this relationship. That we need to be committed to it. That we need to desire deeper levels of intimacy with God ... all of which tell me that we need to make time to be with God and take ownership for our part in this relationship.

So the question that I'm leading up to here is not even that we make time to spend with Him, but rather to assess what that time looks like?

  • So yes I would read the Bible, but was I rushing through it as something I just wanted to tick off for that day? Did I even read it with the intention of wanting to learn something from it - or seek to act upon what I may have read?
  • During my times of worship, was I simply just singing along to a song or reading/saying words off a screen or did I really engage in my worship? In other words, did I really focus on what I was doing, focus on who I was singing to, focus on what I may have been declaring ... Did I even mean what I said while singing, from my heart, not just saying words for the sake of saying them?
  • The same can be said for my time in prayer - was I just mumbling a few words quickly in the morning before I start my day so that I could at least say that I've prayed and have some form of confidence that I prayed before starting my day; were my prayers selfish; did I even consider praying for others, and if so, when last have I done so.
  • When I pray, have I been praying from a position of faith or just simply going through the "rituals", saying what I know to say for the sake of saying it ... do I believe what I'm saying ... Have I been approaching my time of prayer in faith believing God would answer, or again, has it just been another tick box exercise?
  • The same can be said for other areas like how I would approach watching a Christian teaching, attending small group meetings or Sunday church services ... Yes I made the time to do all of these "activities" which are meant to help draw me closer to God - but was I really engaged in them? Did I do it because someone asked me to, to please other people, to please my church leaders ... What's my motive behind doing these things?
  • How many of the above activities have I tried to cram in while being busy or preoccupied with something else (while checking my phone or responding to messages, maybe quickly while on my way somewhere, etc.)
  • With so many distractions around me and so many things fighting for my attention, has my relationship with God become something that I've had to TRY AND MAKE TIME for? ... have I had to cram God into my schedule instead of looking at how my schedule can revolve around my time with Him?

These were all self-reflecting questions that I asked myself when prompted to assess the quality of my time spent with God ... and that's the same question I'd like to leave with you today, that you would go away and take a moment to reflect and ask yourself, "What does the quality of my time with God look like, and am I happy with it?" ... "Is there genuinely a hunger and desire to improve on my pursuit for more with God - where I truly desire deeper levels of fellowship, partnership and intimacy with Him?"

Next time we'll take a look at some of the things that can help us develop our intimacy with God.

Amen